Thursday, January 20, 2011

18 New Testament Misconceptions No. 9


#9 My Word/Commands/Commandments


Many Christian theologians posture that Y’shua brought his own commandments, and that these are somehow new and improved over the ones given in Torah. The same principles apply here as with the synonyms we discussed earlier, namely commands and words.  However, since the Aramaic foundation for these principles has been established earlier, we need not visit linguistics again here, so let’s examine a few verses that are often twisted right out of context:

“Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away”
(Matthew 24:35)

“For all who are ashamed of me and my words in this sinful and adulterous generation, the Son of man will also be ashamed of him when he comes in the esteem of his Father with his Set Apart Messengers” (Mark 8:38)

“If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you” (Yochanan 15:7)

“This is my commandment:  that you love one another, as I have loved you"
(Yochanan 15:12).

The truth is that Y’shua’s words, commandments and commands, were all according to and validated by Torah:

“Now He said to them,  These are my words that I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things that are written about me in the Torah of Moshe and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled” (Luke 24:44).

“You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is  these that testify about Me; and you are unwilling to come to me so that you may have life.  I do not receive esteem from men; but I know you, that you do not have the love of Elohim in yourselves.  I have come in my Father’s name, and you do not receive me; if another comes in his own name, you will receive him.  How can you believe, when you receive esteem from one another and you do not seek the esteem that is from the one and only Elohim?  Do not think that I will accuse you before the Father; the one who accuses you in Moshe, in whom you have set your hope.  For if you believed Moshe, you would believe me, for he wrote about me.  But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe my words?” (Yochanan 5:39-47)

In these other passages, Y’shua makes it very clear that his teachings do not even come from himself:

“My teaching is not my own, but His who sent me” (Yochanan 7:16).

“Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father is in me?  The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own initiative, but the Father abiding in me does His works” (Yochanan 12:49).

“For I did not speak on my own initiative, but the Father Himself who sent me has given me a commandment as to what to say and what to speak.” (Yochanan 14:10).

“He who does not love me does not keep my words, and the word that you hear is not mine, but the Father’s, who sent me.” (Yochanan 14:24).


No comments:

Post a Comment